[time-nuts] 1PPS users?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Dec 19 11:46:41 EST 2016

Hi

> On Dec 19, 2016, at 10:11 AM, Tom Van Baak <tvb at LeapSecond.com> wrote:
>
>> I believe the power industry is using GPS provided time to stamp power
>> events for analysis as well.
>
> Chris,
>
> Yes, in fact one of the first applications of hp's SmartClock was just that:
>
> "Accurate Transmission Line Fault Location Using Synchronized Sampling"
> http://leapsecond.com/hpan/an1276-1.pdf

There is an FCS paper that pre-dates that by about a decade. The guys at
Quebec Hydro set up GPS to monitor the phase state in their main distribution
network and wrote the paper. I don’t have an FCS DVD handy to dig it up. I
also have no idea if there is a copy outside a pay wall. They went into a bit
more detail on what they saw. It gives you a bit better feel for how it works
in the real world.

Bob