[time-nuts] Using GPSDO as a Refrence for Protable Amateur Radio Microwave Operations

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Dec 22 16:36:56 EST 2016

Hi

For close in phase noise (< 10 Hz) the 10 MHz still wins over the 100 MHz after multiplication.

ADEV of the 10 MHz (with or without frequency scale) will be better on the higher Q resonator.
That will always be the low frequency overtone rather than the VHF crystal.

Indeed, a large blank 5 MHz would beat the 10 MHz. It’s a good bet that if a 2.5 MHz cold weld
SC with a 30 mm blank diameter existed, it would beat either one of them (Q would be much higher).
Given the cost of coming up with that part …. not going to happen.

Bob