[time-nuts] Glass Envelope Quartz Crystals

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Feb 2 07:15:56 EST 2016

Hi

Since the 25 MHz crystal has already been soldered into a circuit, putting it in a
socket is probably not a real good idea. It’s also a leaded part. Even with fat pins
sockets can be an issue. With wire leads, you are asking for trouble.

Functionally, there is little there is little difference between a glass package crystal
and a metal package. About the only real one is the obvious - one has a metal shield
you can (but sometimes don’t)  ground.

Bob