[time-nuts] OCXO Retrace

Artek Manuals Manuals at ArtekManuals.com
Thu Feb 11 06:05:47 EST 2016

To further underscore Charles point and to add another dimension to the
discussion.,The Z3801A that I have been working to bring back from
intensive care in the last two weeks is sensitive to a very slight
mechanical shock.

The unit was laying open on the bench with all kinds of test clips
hanging out of it (power IN and monitor of the various DC supply
busses). At one point I slightly repositioned the Z3801 and in doing so
"dropped" (front edge only ) about 1/4". Nothing scary but a noticeable
THUMP. Less than a minute later I noticed that the PPS error began
drifting lower and over the next 30 minutes stabilized almost 200ns low.
At that point I powered it down for 5 minutes and then ran a survey
again and it was fine . I repeated the little experiment a couple off
times and each time it received a "thump" it started drifting low.
Simply left alone over a period of several hours it would return to
center around 0 pps on its own. The moral I took away from the little
experiment was to make sure the Z3801A's final resting place on the
bench when it gets out of the hospital and returns to work was in a low
traffic - "quiet" location where it would not get bumped.

Dave
NR1DX