[time-nuts] Next step up from basic GPS/PPS timekeeping

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 24 10:08:43 EST 2016

I currently operate a stratum 1 NTP server in the NTP pool using a U-Blox
Max-7Q GPS module with PPS attached to, variously, a Raspberry Pi via GPIO
or a Celeron mini PC via serial DB-9. The machine does nothing but serve
time to the pool. Operating systems of choice are Debian or FreeBSD.

What would be my next step up be, hardware-wise, in terms of improving
precision, stability, etc? A GPSDO? Budget is limited as far as these things
go - about £150 UK/$210 US.

I appreciate this is basic stuff compared to the usual discussions but this
doesn't seem the right question to ask on the NTP lists. Any help
appreciated. Thanks.

Neil,

A BeagleBone Black might give half the jitter compared to the RPi, but not
the order of magnitude you may be seeking.

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/BBB-vs-RPi.html

Perhaps purely for serving the pool, the RPi is more than adequate.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk