[time-nuts] Next step up from basic GPS/PPS timekeeping

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Feb 24 17:22:03 EST 2016

> From what others on the list have said before, WWVB offers performance
> that's at least a couple orders of magnitude worse than GPS, even if you
> correct for all of the expected diurnal variations in LF propagation. Given
> that a fairly pedestrian GPS module offers a nominal PPS accuracy of ~10ns
> for $25...

Yes.  But it would be fun to measure the diurnal variations.

I thought WWVB was actually good at that.  It's ground wave rather than
bouncing off the ionosphere.  But I'd like to measure both WWVB and WWV.

Has anybody built a WWV(B)DSO?  You would need a stable oscillator so you
could average over days or weeks rather than hours.  I'm thinking of a
surplus rubidium.  Maybe a manual screwdriver adjustment would be good enough
and a PIC/AVR to make a PPS and fake GPRMC.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.