[time-nuts] GPS Outage..

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sat Feb 27 17:24:13 EST 2016

Hi Jim,

For Call Data Records (CDR) there isn't no need for significantly better
precision, and for most logging use not either, but for the air
interface, timing has shifted from relatively unimportant to very important.

The trouble is that it is so highly dependent on technology, that
generic statements about cell/mobile technology cannot be made. Time is
also another aspect, and geography. It used to be that the north america
ran its own race on mobile standards (AMPS/DAMPS/CDMA). The nordic
countries ran theirs (NMT), and that converted into the european (GSM)
and then in the next round the world (UMTS). Some technology got
inherited into the UMTS from CDMA. Much got inherited from the
NMT/GSM/UMTS/LTE route. There is also technologies such as DECT and
TETRA and then some national variants of the international ones.

Cheers,
Magnus