[time-nuts] WWVB format change in 2012

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Feb 28 09:57:22 EST 2016

Hi

Ok, I think we have a bit of a terminology issue here.

The new WWVB format is troublesome for older gear that looks at carrier
phase as a source of precision timing. The NTP driver does not do this.

The new WWVB format is fine for any gear that recovers time from the
AM modulation on the carrier. This is what the NTP driver *does* do.

Simply put - WWVB and NTP work just as well today as they did 20 years
ago.

As a “future project”, adding a driver to NTP to work with the bitstream from
the new phase modulation would be a nice thing. At the moment the number
of receivers capable of handling this modulation is pretty small. I would
wait until there is at least one commercial product on the market before
a driver is written.

Bob