[time-nuts] Wenzel Timekeeper Oscillator

Mike Baker mpb45 at clanbaker.org
Mon Feb 29 08:13:29 EST 2016

Hello, Time-Nutters--

I have been sorting through items accumulated in my workshop
over the past 10 or 15 years which I will likely never have any
more use for.  I came across an oscillator made by Wenzel
Associates, Austin Texas.  Model 500-01301.  I bought it to
replace the the original defective oscillator in a  Motorola
communications signal analyzer / service monitor.   The service
monitor worked fine for a decade or so after that but at some
point suffered a short on the freq synthesizer PC board which
damaged it beyond repair and the cost for a replacement board
was more than I wanted to invest in it.  I saved some particular
components from the unit including the Wenzel precision
low-aging 1 MHz crystal oven oscillator.

I suppose I could put it on eBAY but have no idea how much
to ask for it.   I thought I would pass it by the Time-Nuts
family first in case there is any interest in it.  What is a
reasonable price to ask for this?  $50 plus shipping?
Trade it for a racoon hunting beagle puppy plus shipping?
(Just kidding!)

Please--  any responses from fellow Time-Nutters should
be sent to me OFF-LIST so as not to load the List with
unnecessary traffic!

I still have the documentation info sheet that came with it
which says:

Very Low Aging 1 MHz Timekeeping Oscillator
Frequency 1 MHz
Output  TTL Compatible
       Stability / Aging  +/- 2 X 10 -10/Day after 30 days
      Temperature Stability +/- 8 X 10 -9, (+10 to +50 deg C)
      Dimensions 2 X 2 X 4"
      Connections 7-(solder) pin header
      Pin-5  +10 V Reference Output
      Pin-6  Electrical Tuning Input
      Solder Sealed Steel Can
      Supply +15 VDC
      Coarse Frequency 2 X 10 -6
      Fine Frequency  +/- 2 X 10 -7 (+/-5 V)
      Crystal  5 MHz SC-cut Third Overtone
      with divide by 5 output

The output waveform was not symmetrical and the Motorola
service monitor did not like that so I cobbled up a simple PLL chip
to to deal to cure that issue.

I just powered it up and you can see the output waveform in the
Dropbox link below.   The output was not properly loaded so it looks
a bit rough.

Photos can be seen at these Dropbox URLs:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60102282/Wenzel-%20Oscillator/Wenzel-1-WS.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60102282/Wenzel-%20Oscillator/Wenzel-2-WS.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60102282/Wenzel-%20Oscillator/Wenzel-3-WS.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60102282/Wenzel-%20Oscillator/Wenzel-4-WS.jpg