[time-nuts] DMTD - analog multiplier vs. diode mixer ?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Jan 10 05:32:01 EST 2016

Moin phk!

On Sat, 09 Jan 2016 22:56:27 +0000
"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> >Single gate chips better than multi gate chips.
> >(no interference through the power supply of the different sub-parts)
>
> Would paralleing multiple gates in the same chip make things
> better or worse ?

Good question. I have no idea.

My first guess would be, that it would only give a slight improvement,
if at all.

The reasoning is the following:
Under the assumption that the noise of all gates is ergodic and stationary,
then averaging the outputs of the gates should reduce the output noise.

But the noise is not truly ergodic and there will be coupling between the
gates (both through the power supply and the outputs), that will change the
noise properties of the gates. Which in turn might lead to positive interference
of the noise, instead of averaging out.

But I have to admit that noise in electronic circuits is for me still
something very unintuitive. And I am more often wrong than right, when
it comes to predicting noise behaviour.

			Attila Kinali
use without that foundation.