[time-nuts] Lady Heather Server On Raspberry Pi 2 Model B?

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Wed Jan 13 11:51:09 EST 2016

On Wed, January 13, 2016 8:30 am, Nick Sayer wrote:
>> No, ntpd would be getting time from the serial port, not from the
>> network socket.
>
> You're right. I may be wrong, but I would expect that either gapd or
> ser2net would want to open the serial device exclusively, which would
> spoil things.
> You might investigate whether you could make some sort of intermediate
> service that could be a client of gpsd and provide the listening socket
> for LH.

That is the right approach, and someone has already done that.
If I had seen this before I completely forgot, but my old friend N5TNL
pointed me to:
Original code written for BSD:
http://ralphsmith.org/~ralph/thunderbolt.tar.gz

Patches for linux and info by Leigh Klotz (WA5ZNU):
http://wa5znu.org/2011/08/tbolt/

The  original announcement for the BSD version was almost 6 years ago by
Ralph Smith:
https://www.mail-archive.com/time-nuts@febo.com/msg26128.html

The follow-up by Leigh was right at 4 years ago:
https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2012-January/062566.html

Summary is the thunderboltd service runs and communicates with the
Thunderbolt, provides a network port for Lady Heather to connect to for
remote display and control of the Thunderbolt, and places the time into a
shared memory region for ntpd to pick up.

It works on x86, so I'm getting ready to install an ARM compiler to see if
it compiles cleanly for ARM.  I don't have the right RS232 level
translator yet to connect my Thunderbolt to my ARM system (BeagleBone
Black in my case, not RPi), so I can't check it out directly yet.

--
Chris Caudle