[time-nuts] Generating a solid PPS from 10Mhz source

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jan 18 10:11:56 EST 2016

Hi

Back in the 70’s I was involved in making LCD watches. The whole “photo”
issue had not been fully through through. One day our chief marketing guy for
the project was driving around in Phoenix AZ. He looks down and notices that
his watch is dead. Pops out a spare, puts it on, confirms it it working. Hangs his arm out
the window and …. that one is dead as well.

We changed the die coat on the ASIC to an opaque version soon after that …

Light does indeed interact with semiconductors. It happens even on circuits that
you would not *think* are photo sensitive. Physics is nasty that way ….

Bob