[time-nuts] HP5370B & HP5345B Front-End IC Redesign Effort

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Jan 27 10:20:27 EST 2016

On 1/22/2016 2:14 PM, Mathew Breton wrote:
> I was gifted an HP 5370B with the usual problem: front-end problems, probably due to overstress. It is currently up and running again with a set of 5345A series A3/A4 boards as I wasn't able to get a cheap pair of 5088-706x hybrid ICs.
> This sounds like a common problem. As a result, I'm designing an open-source drop-in (hopefully) replacement. My hat is off to the original IC designer, as it is not a trivial effort due to the wide input signal common-mode range, and very tight trigger timing requirements. Other items (like the E-ECL) output) are also adding a bit of extra effort.
> I'm hoping that someone(s) might be interested in working with me on it. I would like to have my assumptions and math checked before I start the detailed design phase, and perhaps contribute some better ideas.
> In addition, it would be really helpful if someone could run a few rise-time dispersion tests on an instrument with a working "B"-series A3/A4 PCB set (my unit obviously doesn't qualify).
> Regards,
> Mat Breton

I would like to mention that the "father" of the 5370,
David Chu, retired from Agilent a few years ago.  He
might be receptive to giving you some advice about
your project.  He is still very sharp technically.
If there is sufficient interest,  I might be able
to arrange for an introduction.  It would be helpful
if we had a show of hands on time nuts as to how many
people on time nuts are interested in this board.
David was one of the best engineers in the history
of the Santa Clara division and the fact that the
5370 lives on is a testimony to how far ahead of
its time the design was, some 40 years ago.

Rick Karlquist N6RK
HP Santa Clara Division 1979-1998