[time-nuts] GPSDO unclear situation

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 15:28:44 EST 2016

Anton a brief response others will add.
Welcome to time nuts.
Yes the 1pps can be very important to the ultimate stability of the system.
But the fact is many other things come into play.
Poor oscillators sloppy GPS controllers and such can make the 1pps pulse
the least of your concerns.
That said I also have the VE2ZAZ controller it works well and has been
around for most likely 10 years. It was never intended to go to the levels
that some time-nuts can go. Call it a great .1 Hertz solution. Cheap simple
reliable. If thats what you need for Amateur radio work your all set.
But more advanced GPS controllers do all sorts of filtering and averaging
and can deliver stability 3 and more decades in accuracy. Thats when those
better GPS receivers are a need. I have to be careful here because even the
ublox NEO6s can do a pretty good job.

Now comparing all of this to your H maser, well its not really a comparison
and I am unsure what the benefit would be in doing that. I would spend far
more time figuring out how to get a signal from the H maser to my home and
simply forget all the other approaches. Let someone else pay for the power
cooling and maintenance.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL