[time-nuts] Tom Van Baak: a conversation about GPS timing

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Jan 28 02:41:56 EST 2016

Hi Tani,

> Q: Why is there an timing offset of 20ns average between identical
> commercial off-the-shelf GPS modules?

Without testing I can't tell if 20 ns is normal for your receiver or not. It doesn't seem totally out of the ordinary but some investigation would be in order in case part of the problem is on your end. The paper I mentioned is:

Critical Evaluation of the Motorola M12+ GPS Timing Receiver vs.
the Master Clock at the United States Naval Observatory, Washington DC
http://www.gpstime.com/files/PTTI/PTTI_2002_CNS_Testbed.pdf

Here you can see even with a popular, vintage, high-end GPS timing receiver there are variations in time offset. A similar thing happened with they replaced the M12 with a ublox 6T:

Low cost GPS-based time and frequency products, an update
http://www.gpstime.com/files/PTTI/Low_cost_GPS-based_time_and_frequency_products.pdf

One thing we time-nuts can do is to measure N of your favorite GPS timing receivers and get a feel for the unit-to-unit variations. It would not surprise me if some are consistent at the 5 ns level while others at the 20 ns or 50 ns level. To further complicate matters, it sometimes also depends on the f/w version.

So precise, repeatable, absolute time is much harder to know for commodity "timing" receivers. Fortunately a GPSDO never actually needs to worry about this -- since it's all based on relative time, not absolute.

> Q: When it comes to using a GPSDO to measure timing performance (Sigma
> -Tau) any hiccups on GPS could make this calculation fail and you would

In general with a GPSDO, if you find a gradual departure in phase between GPS and your OCXO you can't be sure if the error is due to the GPS receiver or with the OCXO. This is all part of how a GPSDO works -- it makes an informed guess, and this is where filtering algorithms comes in. The *assumption* is that if there is a gradual, sustained change in phase that it's the OCXO's fault and so it is corrected to "close the loop". All this to maintain the 10 MHz output as close as possible in real-time.

The feature I mentioned is applicable to situations where one is making time/frequency measurements over the long-term. In this case there's no point in having a GPSDO make assumptions in real-time. Instead it's easier to just collect 1PPS phase differences and make retroactive corrections to the numerical phase or frequency counter readings after-the-fact. For example, glitches are easier to detect and remove if you have a full before/after history. And "disciplining" with post-facto numerical corrections to frequency readings are more accurate than having to correct an OCXO using a DAC and EFC h/w.

For example, in my lab, I tend not to use a GPSDO to compare a high-end clocks (Rb, Cs, H-Maser). Instead I just use a plain GPS/1PPS receiver. For these sorts of standards, a GPSDO can add nothing but noise to a measurement. But this "trick" only works if you are content to measure after-the-fact, not in real-time.

Does that help? Or further confuse things...

/tvb