[time-nuts] Visiting Greenwich

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Tue Jul 5 08:10:29 EDT 2016

I'm a bit of a crypto-geek and was able to visit Bletchley a couple of
times, again many years ago.  It is definitely worth a trip, though from
what I saw on my visits and have read lately it has evolved badly.

It used to be run on a shoestring with enthusiastic volunteers
everywhere and lots of eccentric touches.  There were local craft clubs
who set up on their niche historical displays on the weekends, there was
a guy who'd taken over the front room of the manor with his huge
Churchill memorabilia collection, and though things weren't fancy they
were lots of fun.  Over the years, though, the site has been
"corporatized" and while the exhibits have gotten fancier, some of the
fun has gone away, and a lot of the passionate volunteers seem to have
given up.

My last visit was years ago, though, and I hope that what I've read
about what's happened since is overstated.

John