[time-nuts] Visiting Greenwich

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Tue Jul 5 22:20:14 EDT 2016

	I might add I have been to Bletchly park myself but have been
waiting for a return visit with my son (who will graduate with a CS degree
in a year - and a biochem degree) rather than take my wife who really
isn't all that into what it means...

On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 12:18:59PM -0400, William H. Fite wrote:
> I second the motion, John, re Bletchley Park. My spouse is a quantum
> information theorist (sort of a cross between a quantum physicist and a
> theoretical mathematician) who develops algorithms that crypto people then
> adapt for practical use. Mostly for quantum crypto. Both of us found
> Bletchley absolutely fascinating. That was a couple of years ago and we
> found several enthusiastic volunteers including one who was a pretty fair
> mathematician.
>
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 8:10 AM, John Ackermann N8UR <jra at febo.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm a bit of a crypto-geek and was able to visit Bletchley a couple of
> > times, again many years ago.  It is definitely worth a trip, though from
> > what I saw on my visits and have read lately it has evolved badly.
> >
> > It used to be run on a shoestring with enthusiastic volunteers everywhere
> > and lots of eccentric touches.  There were local craft clubs who set up on
> > their niche historical displays on the weekends, there was a guy who'd
> > taken over the front room of the manor with his huge Churchill memorabilia
> > collection, and though things weren't fancy they were lots of fun.  Over
> > the years, though, the site has been "corporatized" and while the exhibits
> > have gotten fancier, some of the fun has gone away, and a lot of the
> > passionate volunteers seem to have given up.
> >
> > My last visit was years ago, though, and I hope that what I've read about
> > what's happened since is overstated.
> >
> > John
> >

> > On 7/4/2016 10:01 PM, Bob wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Dave,
> >>
> >> Yes, as many mentioned all the clocks are up the hill at the Observatory,
> >> and very much worth the trip.  As you mention you are with your family, I
> >> would like to add that yes I did cajole my family to the NMM and the
> >> Observatory, but also to Bletchley Park (just a short train ride outside
> >> London) and Bletchley Park was easily the most memorable.  There are
> >> wonderful volunteer guides, and many interesting devices that you can get
> >> up close to.  Bletchley was more like visiting a working lab than a
> >> museum.  I think every time nut would enjoy Bletchley quite a bit.
> >>
> >> https://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/ <https://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/>
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Bob
> >>
> >> On Jul 4, 2016, at 6:31 PM, Dave Martindale <dave.martindale at gmail.com>

> > and follow the instructions there.
> >

> --
> Mundus vult decipi.

  Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die at dieconsulting.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in
celebration of what could have been, but wasn't and is not to be now either."