[time-nuts] GPS for Nixie Clock

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 11:36:19 EDT 2016

The point of measuring the actual ignition point is to predictably
remove delay by driving the element earlier.  CRT grid structures
support transition times in the 5 to 20 nanosecond range; the smaller
distances involved with a nixie tube should support faster operation.

Something which just occurred to me is that ultraviolet can be used to
provide ionization to the gas without radioactivity.  Flame detector
tubes work like this so bathe the tubes in a small amount of UV.  I do
not know how transparent the nixie tube envelope to UV is though.