[time-nuts] GPS message jitter (preliminary results)

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Jul 18 15:49:46 EDT 2016

> most receivers get the time messages out within a window less than 50 milliseconds
> wide with a standard deviation of less than 10 milliseconds.

Hi Mark,

For comparison with your data, attached is the ADEV+MDEV plot [1] for the SkyLab / MG1613S GPS board [2], the one with the 350 ms offset and 11 ms stdev.

The results are impressive. But I'd still recommend people use 1PPS instead of NMEA edges for clock timing.

And, because I've seen it myself sometimes on some receivers, I will agree that these NMEA timings are not necessarily consistent over long periods, especially over episodes with significantly varying reception quality, including loss and reacquisition of lock.

/tvb

[1] http://leapsecond.com/pages/MG1613S/log167.gif
[2] http://leapsecond.com/pages/MG1613S/