[time-nuts] GPS message jitter (preliminary results)

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Jul 18 18:10:32 EDT 2016

> Most definitely... if I turn on Lady Hather's display filter (which does a sliding average
> of "n" readings)  the standard deviation and jitter values drop dramatically.

Be careful here. We're using standard deviation here as a measure of the instability, or noise, or jitter of the NMEA edge. Adding a sliding average filter to the raw data is (an accidental) method to remove that noise; the very thing you were trying to measure. So claiming "jitter values drop dramatically" is not exactly a surprise. Effectively what's happening is that you are changing the "tau" of the std dev.

At this point you're much better off not to use raw or filtered std dev at all -- and just go with ADEV on the raw data, where the tau of the sigma is explicit.

/tvb