[time-nuts] How does sawtooth compensation work?

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 19 12:47:04 EDT 2016

While on the subject of antenna cable delay and sawtooth values,  I have only seen Trimble document the sign of the value that you enter to compensate for cable delays (for Trimble devices you enter a negative value).   Other receivers may require a positive or negative value.  Also, some receivers will not accept will not accept negative cable delay values and can only move the PPS in one direction from nominal using their cable delay feature.

Also, I have never seen anybody document how the sign of their reported sawtooth compensation value relates to the PPS edge.   For some receivers it is the offset of the PPS edge from true time.  For others it is the delay you need to apply to the edge to get it to true time.

Asking the manufacturer about either value may or may not give the correct answer.   The only way to know for sure is to test it...  and that requires comparison to a known to be correct and very accurate PPS source...