[time-nuts] GPS message jitter (was GPS for Nixie Clock)

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 13:17:37 EDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Scott Stobbe <scott.j.stobbe at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am happy to hear you issue was resolved. What I meant to say is the
> problem could also be mitigated using the UART's flow control, this could
> be done by the original GPS designers or by an end user if the CTS line is
> pined out.

The original GPS designers where sending NMEA-0183 data out to devices
that accept and use NMEA data.   GPS was not the first to work with
NMEA.  Lots of other instruments also output NMEA.   I doubt they ever
would have envisioned people using NMEA data for precision timing.
Typically if you want to do precision timing you's use a GPS that
outputs some binary data format.  NMEA-0183 does not have flow control

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California