[time-nuts] How does sawtooth compensation work?

Michael mikenet213 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 19 19:41:59 EDT 2016

Thanks Tom, Bob, and Mark (wrote my response to Tom first, but didn't hit send)!

I've actually been collecting some *ancient* dual-frequency geodetic gear to play with, some of which have external clock inputs (or should be hackable). I've read a lot, but I wasn't sure what people were typically referring to on this list. Thanks for the overview...that helps me connect the dots between the time-nuts and survey/geodetic GPS worlds.

For time-nut use, I don't see any harm in using post-processing for evaluation/measurement of clocks. Won't get you something usable in real-time, for sure, but if you're already collecting weeks of data, don't see any harm in waiting for precise orbit and clock solutions to become available for post processing. And it might tell me how far off you are in a 24-hour PPP solution. Which I guess means you'd need to be very stable in the <=24hr region.

Thinking out loud, I wonder how bad L1-only, post-processed, would be for time-nuts use? Especially with a timing-grade antenna (e.g. the common Trimble Bullet). Dual frequency is great when your receiver has the potential to move, you have to resolve carrier phase ambiguity quickly, or you don't have a reference station (CORS) nearby. (O.T. I was out hiking in Washington state recently, and *accidentally* happened upon my local CORS station, so I guess that's no issue for me :-)). But for many time-nuts, I wonder how badly a timing-grade antenna, something with raw carrier phase output (which you get very cheaply these days), and a stable enough local clock to allow you average out local weather.

I guess while it's fascinating to me...wonder if it has any use in practice compared to a simple, autonomous, real-time, L1-only receiver? I mean, I'm interested in measuring my local tropospheric and ionospheric delays. But then again, I am an aspiring time-(and maybe GPS)-nut :).

Michael