[time-nuts] NCOCXO anyone?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Jul 21 19:17:08 EDT 2016

--------
In message <4763643485B04450A76F7C04BA8CFB63 at pc52>, "Tom Van Baak" writes:

>There are highly-prized commercial instruments that do this. But
>no amateur has tried yet.

It would be more precise to say that no amateur has been willing to
talk about their results yet.

I personally know several have tried and failed at various levels
of performance.

My own personal experience, both analog and VHDL, is that there is
a particularly long and noisy way from theory to practice in this
space.

The one thing I have *not* tried, and the only one I think has any
realistic chances, is to use a DDS chip which has a phase modulation
register.

That should get you to a nanosecond without too much trouble.