[time-nuts] NCOCXO anyone?

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Jul 22 14:23:35 EDT 2016

On 7/22/2016 10:15 AM, David wrote:

> It is too bad voltage control of an oscillator cannot be made
> ratiometric.  Or can it?  I have never heard of such a thing.  That
> would remove some of the demands on a low drift reference.

That's what we tried to do with the E1938A.  A multiplying DAC
is used based on a reference that is ovenized instead the
crystal oven.  That certainly eliminated the tempco issue
with the reference, but then we discovered 1/f noise on the
reference.  We had to redesign with a different reference.

Rick