[time-nuts] NIST UT1 NTP server results

Mike Cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Fri Jul 22 19:21:34 EDT 2016

> Le 23 juil. 2016 à 00:23, John Hawkinson <jhawk at mit.edu> a écrit :
>
> I have to wonder if it's really such a great idea to have this
> as an open NTP server without huge red flags that it is not UTC.
> One could imagine it leading to big problems if some people started
> syncing to it without undersatnding that it was.

I think that it would get rejected as a falseticker in most circumstances.
 Worth looking at.

I have just started an NTP client with just that server as a source.. The GPS based source is configured noselect.

Sat Jul 23 01:00:27 CEST 2016
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
 192.168.1.23    .GPS.            1 u   15   16  377    0.837   70.330  39.176
 128.138.140.50  .NIST.           1 u   12   16  377  130.662  -153.05  35.809
Sat Jul 23 01:01:31 CEST 2016
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
 192.168.1.23    .GPS.            1 u    7   16  377    0.825  106.345  40.264
 128.138.140.50  .NIST.           1 u   12   16  377  130.652  -121.03  35.812

The system clock offset is slowly converging on the UT1 server.

more later.

> Has there been thought to at least setting the reference ID to 'UT1'
> instead of 'NIST' (or maybe 'NUT1' since 'NIST-UT1' is too long?).

I would prefer UT1