[time-nuts] NIST UT1 NTP server results

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat Jul 23 15:56:38 EDT 2016

To further clarify my question about which UTx timescale to use with NTP, or if or how to interpolate the values I've attached two plots from IERS for the past 60 days.

BTW, notice last week we had another rare moment -- where the Earth had a near perfect 86400.00000 second day!

My question is, if someone were to compare a NTP/UTC system and a NTP/UT1 system would you want the daily / weekly / monthly phase difference plot to look exactly like these IERS plots? Or do you want annual smoothing that flattens all the wonderful wiggles and wandering of the Earth's actual spin.

In other words, are the proponents of using UT for computer timekeeping off-grid anti-atomic natural-rotation mother-earth types? Or is using UT just a way to smooth out leap seconds over an entire couple of years instead of smearing them over part of day, like what Google does.

Thanks,
/tvb