[time-nuts] NCOCXO anyone?

James Flynn james.flynn at csun.edu
Sun Jul 24 09:44:37 EDT 2016

Hal Murray <hmurray at ...> writes:

> That still leaves the temperature quirks of the DAC and amplifiers.
>
> Has anybody put the DAC and all of the analog stuff inside the oven?
Seems
> like an obvious idea so somebody has probably patented it.

I am using a 5 MHz custom built design which has everything inside the
outer oven in a double oven.

This includes:

Precision regulators for DC supply.
24 bit DAC
Reference for DAC
All analog devices, resistors and capacitors after DAC.
All buffer amplifiers from oscillator.

Unit only has raw DC and I2C lines for inputs and 5MHz sine wave out at
3 volts p-p.

It also seemed the obvious way to go in the design.

Performance is difficult to measure with equipment on hand.  Waiting on
funding for experiment which includes equipment traceable to NIST.