[time-nuts] The home time-lab

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Mon Jul 25 13:18:44 EDT 2016

Hi Bill:

I have links to the Sola patents at: http://www.prc68.com/I/Sola_CVS.html#Patents
The 1939 patent shows a single gap and the resonant circuit, but the current patent (number on Sola xformer label) shows
two gaps and the resonant circuit.
They specify up to a 3 ms dropout restoration which implies the amount of energy stored is enough to last that long.

A full time UPS (one where the line is converted to battery voltage then battery voltage is converted to a sine wave)
could be expected to have a clean output.
But a relay switched UPS, like mine, does nothing to the line waveform, so the Sola offers a lot of improvement.

Since the Sola does not help getting a sine waveform, it may be better to put it on the input since that might make
dropout detection more reliable?

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke