[time-nuts] The home time-lab

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 15:32:42 EDT 2016

The reason they call it a modified sine wave is that it is a square
wave with the same peak and RMS voltages as a sine wave.  Since the
RMS value of a (bipolar) square wave is equal to its peak value, it
has to include parts at zero or a lower voltage.  Some inverters use
additional voltage steps to more closely approximate a sine wave but I
think they are less common now that true sine outputs have become more
economical.

I do not know why Don Lancaster's Magic Sinewave idea is not used more
widely.  Does it have patent issues?  Maybe it is not economical
compared to a true sine output.

In the past I have used the predicable sine average responding and RMS
values of a square wave to calibrate its peak-to-peak value for use as
a calibration source.  This is useful for calibrating analog
oscilloscopes if you have an uncalibrated source but a good sine
average responding or RMS (or both for a sanity check) AC voltmeter.