[time-nuts] Precision DACs

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Jul 25 19:13:44 EDT 2016

On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 19:17:29 -0500
David <davidwhess at gmail.com> wrote:

> There *has* to be a better way to do this.  Maybe we could build a
> wooden badger ...

What? Has the wooden rabbit failed?

As I said, I looked into this some time ago and I couldn't come up
with any "easy" way to build a DAC with more than 20 (real) bits that
has a sampling rate higher than a couple of Hz. Even what the audio
people do, if they do not use of the shelf snake-oil DACs is pretty
hard core tech (and smells even more like snake oil)... nothing you'd
do ony your kitchen table. Somehow building your own atomic frequency
standard looked easier than doing your own high precision DAC.

If anyone has a good idea how to build a DAC with more than 20bit
that is somewhat DC stable (better than ~1ppm within an hour should
be enough), i'd like to hear about that.

			Attila Kinali
--
Malek's Law:
        Any simple idea will be worded in the most complicated way.