[time-nuts] NCOCXO anyone?

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jul 28 20:26:07 EDT 2016

Diophantine Frequency Synthesizer Design for Timekeeping Systems
|   |
|   |  |   |   |   |   |   |
| Diophantine Frequency Synthesizer Design for Timekeepi...Abstract Diophantine Frequency Synthesis (DFS), a number-theoretic approach to the design of very high resolution frequency synthesizers, was introduced in 2006.  |
|  |
| View on www.hindawi.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

Discusses a diophantine synthesiser.Note Sotiriadis' work on diophantine numbers and frequency synthesis appears to be a rehash of an old Patent perhaps due to a lack of competent searching for prior art.This issue was discussed on the list some time ago,
Bruce

    On Friday, 29 July 2016 6:31 AM, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

 On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 08:19:43 +0000 (UTC)
Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> No, the first one merely uses a pair of cascaded heterodyne PLLs
> as shown on p3 of the manual.

Ok. I tried to understand how this circuit works. While I can see
how a small and precise frequency offset can be produced, I do not
see how a small phase offset with fixed frequency can be produced.
At least not at the 100fs resolution level they are claiming in
the manual. Would someone be so kind and explain the working
of the circuit?

> A diophantine setup may be useful here if one wished to construct something similar.

What is a diophantine setup?

                Attila Kinali

use without that foundation.