[time-nuts] GPSDO design articles

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sun Jul 31 17:34:36 EDT 2016

Finally for today, I posted two white papers from PTF, Inc. that discuss
the basics of GPSDO design.  These are the best accessible discussions
of "how it's done" at the professional level that I'm aware of, and
(IMO) should be required reading for anyone attempting a DIY GPSDO design.

Note that some of the ADEV graphs show the use of local oscillators that
are less stable at short tau than most time-nuts would use, so the
corresponding crossover frequencies are lower (PLL bandwidths are
higher) than would be appropriate for a time-nuts grade GPSDO by a
factor of ~10.

The file names are:

      Basics_of_GPS_discipline_PTF_AN_APP-29
      Optimizing_stability_in_GPSDO_design_PTF

(Didier's system will convert the underscore characters to spaces for
indexing.)

Once again, these are still in quarantine, but will be searchable when
Didier moves them into the general population (which could take several
weeks).

When that happens, "PTF" will be a good search term.

Best regards,

Charles