[time-nuts] pick and place problems/design (was: OT stuffing boards)

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Jun 25 10:41:35 EDT 2016

Hi

If you are doing the sort of boards that started this discussion (100+ parts per board / 5 to 10 boards)
a reel of bypass caps will get used up pretty fast. Shame on you if your designs don’t standardize on
a bypass cap or three and about five resistors. Resistors reels of 10,000 are ~$10 so that’s $50 for your
“most used” resistors. Caps in full reels of 4,000 at $16 a reel are not all that hard to find. If two of your
three bypass caps are covered that way, you are up to $82 for inventory. Your third cap is likely a tantalum
and it will be a bit more. Buy it in a "short reel" of some sort.

Net result (at least for the bulk of your passives) is a startup inventory cost of < $100. Compared to all
the other stuff you are buying. That’s not a big deal.

Bob