[time-nuts] pick and place problems/design (was: OT stuffing boards)

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 12:56:42 EDT 2016

At home I have a parts bin and I find I need to stock about two dozen
resister values.  I can buy a pack of 1,200 resistors for about $12 and
there are all 24 values in the package.  If I had to spend $20 per value
I'd have to spend $480 and some how find space to store 24 reels.    Yes,
one project is not going to need all 24 values but over time they all get
used.

The problem is worse with ICs.   I'm likely to only need one of a certain
part ever.  Yes there are some common parts like an op amp but mostly each
project is unique.   So it seem silly to program a machine to pick on one
single part and place it on one PCB.  I can do that quicker with tweezers.
For the machine to be use any use to me it needs to be "zero setup time".

I think the ideal hobby sized machine is one that does not need parts on
tape or reels.  It would be much slower per PCB stuffed but much faster to
get the first PCB finished.  That is pretty much why I do hand work.

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 11:27 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>
wrote:

> > Also how many hobbyists are going to have reels of parts?
>
> Reels of small resistors or caps are ballpark of $20.  I'd be happy to buy
> one for any part that is likely to get use multiple times on a board and
> again on the next board.
>

> --
> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

Chris Albertson