[time-nuts] How to properly characterize 32kHz oscillators manually and with a microcontroller?

Scott Stobbe scott.j.stobbe at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 00:49:49 EDT 2016

For pulse counting, the timer hardware is the way to go. Setup a 16-bit
timer clocked off your DUT. Then input capture on your PPS edge. This
leaves you plenty of processor time for string formatting and other tasks
you may wish to perform.

If you do the decimation as post-processing on your PC (i.e. log cycle
count every PPS), you can use a zero-phase moving average filter, which may
provide more visual insight over just a single data point every 1000s.