[time-nuts] OCXO noise as they retrace

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Wed Jun 29 14:40:27 EDT 2016

Hi Attila et al,
I think I've finally got a handle on the problem.  A few months ago I posted that I was getting phase pops on my 5370A.  At least I thought it was on the 5370.  So, I bought another one on ebay, and the problem disappeared.  Then it came back, and rapidly got worse.  Unfortunately, the OCXO I had put into one of my GPSDOs was also bad.  So, when I did a three-way comparison, no comparison looked good.  Thus my conclusion that the new 5370 had somehow gone bad in the same way that the old one did.
So, last night, I plugged in an older unit that had always tested good and let it cook overnight.  This morning, comparing that to the PRS got me about 1E-10 --- not very good.  Then I compared the old one to what I had considered the best of the new units I have on hand, and it's down in the 4E-11 or so range at 1 second.  So, I swapped out the OCXO in the other unit I had been testing, and the ADEV at 1s is just under 4E-11, which is where I would expect with my test equipment.

So, my conclusion is that the PRS was the cause of the popping I reported back around February, but it improved for awhile before getting worse: about 1E-10 at 1 second tau.  At the same time, one of the units I was testing not only had a noisy OCXO, but the previous one I had in that unit was also bad.  So, essentially this was a comedy of errors.
I'm left with using one of my GPSDOs as a reference.  But, the difference between good and bad seems to be large enough that I think it will be good enough, even if it eventually were to become noisy.

I do use ebay OCXOs in my GPSDOs to keep the cost way down.  This experience underlines how important it is to test them carefully before depending on them.  Out of about 30 tested, I've had maybe 10 which are unacceptably noisy, which is more or less what I had planned on.  Like Bob Camp says, you never know what you're getting when you get one of these Chinese "recycled" OCXOs.  But, if you buy in some quantity, and carefully test them, enough are good to make them viable.
Bob