[time-nuts] Cable length calibration

Scott McGrath scmcgrath at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 18:05:43 EDT 2016

I'd say it depends on the Time Nut 😀.  NVP X Distance will get you close and for a beginning time nut is a worthwhile exercise

To improve delay calculations now you need instrumentation that not all especially beginning time nuts own.    I've got a 20 Ghz Agilent scope/TDR along with a 110 Ghz network analyzer and just putting a cable on the network analyzer and handling it you can see the characteristics change    So yes you are correct that the simple NVPxDistance is not suitable for advanced time nuttery.   In fact the delay will change with temperature and barometric pressure unless you are using hardline and that's subject to humidity unless filled with dry nitrogen under pressure.

Content by Scott
Typos by Siri