[time-nuts] Spectrum Analyzer Specifications

Ian Stirling is at opus131.com
Wed Mar 23 13:38:00 EDT 2016

On 03/23/2016 01:23 AM, timenut at metachaos.net wrote:

> I have another question about test equipment. When using a spectrum analyzer
> to examine the output of a frequency standard, what are the minimum
> specification needed? Bandwidth, resolution, sensitivity, etc?

   Spectrum analysers are not precision frequency counters.
A few years ago I bought an HP 8568B "boat anchor" spectrum analyser
from the site. It is a wonderful instrument, over USA $30,000 when it
was in production until 1997. But it sits unused because my
http://signalhound.com USB-SA44B — 4.4 GHz Spectrum Analyser with
a laptop Windows 7 computer is so much more convenient.
The SA44B is effectively a superbly calibrated measuring receiver
with software that makes it a spectrum analyser.
Indeed, I have listened to NPR on 93.9 MHz on it.

Ian, G4ICV, AB2GR