[time-nuts] Oleg' s PN test Re: A new member & PN test set

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Mar 30 20:56:00 EDT 2016

You've missed the point which is that:
1) With 10MHz input frequencies the sum frequency is actually 20MHz which is beyond the first resonance of the inductor used.Something better is required. The sum frequency is the largest unwanted component that exits the mixer IF port.
2) Oleg is restricted in what he has available, rolling ones own conical inductor is an option given the iron powder Piconics claim to use is potentially available to him locally.

3) Oleg indicated he'd used the rig to measure PN with 60MHz inputs resulting in a 120MHz sum frequency output placing even more severe band reject requirements on the filter/diplexer.
4) The specified mixer is usable to 500 MHz with resulting sum frequency of 1GHz. If someone were tempted to use it at those frequencies as is the results would be "interesting" to say the least.
Obviously one could select off the shelf components that are satisfactory over a small frequency range or for a particular input frequency of interest.. This means the filter components have to be changed whenever the measurement frequency is changed too much.

However its probably more useful to use a filter that works well over the entire range of frequencies for which the mixer is useful.There are many ways to achieve this.

Thanks for the confirmation that home made conical inductors can work well.
A version that worked from say 1MHz to 1GHz would be very useful.
Another potential problem is injection locking:If the VCXO/OCXO under test has inadequate reverse isolation then this can occur leading one to falsely conclude the VCO/OCXO under test has far better performance than it actually has. In effect the injected signal increases the PLL bandwidth far beyond the intended value.
Using high reverse isolation amplifiers on the mixer / phase detector input ports is one way of ensuring that injection locking doesn't occur.
Bruce