[time-nuts] Using lasers for data transmission

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun May 1 13:19:18 EDT 2016

On 5/1/16 9:48 AM, Mark Sims wrote:
> There are "eye-safe" wavelengths that some laser diodes can operate at (generally greater than 1300 nm).  These are much less prone to damage eyes.  Basically your eyeball juice blocks the wavelength.  Still, there is some potential for cornea and lens damage at higher powers.
> http://www.laserfocusworld.com/articles/2008/03/photonic-frontiers-eye-safe-lasers-retina-safe-wavelengths-benefit-open-air-applications.html

If they eye blocks (as in absorbs) the power, fine, you don't get a
retina burn, but you get cataracts or other damage instead (more like
"looking into the waveguide with your remaining good eye").

It's all about energy deposition and there's copious literature on what
safe levels are (on Wikipedia even)

This kind of thing is fairly easy to do safely, you just have to work
through the scenarios and recognize that doing it outside isn't like
doing it the relatively controlled environment of a lab.

With reference to my previous comment about binoculars and telescopes, I
don't think you have to worry about someone at the intended receiver
site looking back at the transmitter (any beam divergence at all will
make the energy density so low at the receiver, it's probably not an issue).

It's someone who's a lot closer than you expected turning around and
looking back at the transmitter or an unexpected specular reflection off
something.

BTW those geophysics measurements with red visible lasers across
California were mostly done with HeNe lasers, because that's what was
available back then.  They also have a nice long cavity (The 1mW
SpectraPhysics 155 that I had back in 1978 had a 30cm-ish cavity), so
the spectral purity is quite good and the beam divergence is low.  The
HeNe are also a lot brighter visually than the red diode laser pointers
for the same optical power.