[time-nuts] High rate, high precision/accuracy time interval counter methods

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue May 3 08:31:17 EDT 2016

Hi,

We had here a discussion about measuring events (ie time stamping
them precisely) with high rates. As some of you know, Javier and
his group, Bruce and me are working on a system that should give
us something better than 10ps (my guess is that we should get close
to 1ps) at a rate of (guestimated) 1MHz per channel. (Based on the
excitation of a LC tank and measuring the ring-down/phase with an ADC).

As it is with researches, we want the moon, and prossible even more.
So we were talking about getting the measurement rate up even higher,
to 10MHz and if possible 50MHz with the same precision. The above
approche will not work above 1MHz. Using different filters it might
be possible to get it up to maybe 10MHz, but it would be an awkward
design at best.

The only methods I am aware of (and could find) that achieve such high
rates are those, based on (vernier) delay lines (and their equivalent
ring oscillator ones) in ASICs. But this means that a costly ASIC needs
to be produced.

Does someone know of other methods that could achieve high measurements
rates with better than 10ps precision/accuracy? (This question is mostly
a hypothetical question out of interest, I don't plan to build one...yet :-)

			Attila Kinali

use without that foundation.