[time-nuts] High rate, high precision/accuracy time interval counter methods

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue May 3 16:40:39 EDT 2016

Rick,

Unless you uses the high-speed SERDES blocks, the jitter and systematic
noises inside FGPAs can be pretty prohibitive.

Enrico Rubiola and his team have made some of the best characterizations
of FPGAs I've seen, but I know from several other experinces that timing
can uhm shift around.

I proposed some 10 years ago to use the 10 Gb/s SERDES for 100 ps
resolution counter, the chip that could support it then could do 8
channels. It had some fancy tweaking so you could fine-tune the sampling
point to align channels up. Would still be a fun project to do.

The normal logic path isn't "as fun".

I'd say that the precision timing stuff should be done in a separate
front-end, but the sea of logic to handle all the dataflows can be done
in a FPGA.

Cheers,
Magnus