[time-nuts] High rate, high precision/accuracy time interval counter methods

Gerhard Hoffmann dk4xp at arcor.de
Wed May 4 08:22:22 EDT 2016

Am 04.05.2016 um 10:46 schrieb Bruce Griffiths:
> Integrating A Time interval to charge TAC at the front end of a capacitive charge redistribution SAR ADC should allow a conversion time of 300ns or so.. Using 16 such TDCs should permit 1ps resolution with a 50MHz timestamp rate without too many cascaded gates in the selection logic for the next available TAC.
> Bruce

One or two years ago I investigated a solution around a 16 Bit / 100
MSPS ADC (LTC2165), a 2C64 Coolrunner,
an Avago PHEMT as current switch and a little bit of analog voodoo. That
would have fit on a 2"*2" board.
Good enough for a 10 MHz event rate, with some easy pipelining for at
least 20 MHz.
That includes the coarse counter from the last 1pps.
But we stayed with a classical time stretcher, and my private project
pipeline is already full.

regards, Gerhard