[time-nuts] What is "accuracy"? (newbie timenut, hi folks!)

James Flynn james.flynn at csun.edu
Thu May 5 22:55:09 EDT 2016

Belinda,

It is often good to ask such questions.  So, please do not apologize.

Accuracy is defined as how close a claimed parameter of a device or
system (frequency, time, etc.) is to a standard. This claim has to be
supported by measurements made to a certain precision, (there's that
other word) which is the quantifying of the possible uncertainty in the
measurement.

As with any parameter, the CONDITIONS under which the claim is made can
vary from creator/manufacturer to creator/manufacturer.

For example, I can claim my clock is accurate to 1 part in a trillion
(1e-12) UNDER THE CONDITION that the operating temperature is kept
between 10C and 30C.  Outside of those limits, the accuracy is outside
this range.

To make this claim, however, I would have to also make measurements to a
PRECISION that is much smaller than the ACCURACY I claim.

An example of this is measuring the accuracy of my clock's 1 second
pulse.  That is, how close it is to "on time" as put out by my country's
bureau of standards.  If I claim it is ACCURATE to +/- one millisecond,
but my measurement device can only measure in tenths of a second, i.e.
its PRECISION is in 0.1 seconds, my claim is on shaky ground.  On the
other hand, if the precision of my measurements is to one microsecond,
then my claim has merit.

Also I can claim that my clock has this accuracy only 99% of the time
under these conditions. Now we have a more fuzzy boundary.

So, you see that while accuracy itself is well defined, the conditions
under which the claim is made can vary quite a bit.

You are correct that "precision" and "accuracy" are often confused and
misused.

It is good to clarify these two important principles. So, do lots of
reading and research.  In a business focused on "precision" and
"accuracy", it is important to be precise and accurate in what you are
thinking/writing/speaking about.