[time-nuts] Temperature controlled TCVCXO

Florian Teply usenet at teply.info
Sun May 15 14:43:31 EDT 2016

Am Fri, 13 May 2016 20:28:04 -0500
schrieb David <davidwhess at gmail.com>:

> It figures that HP would have done this if anybody had.  I am not that
> familiar with their design history so thanks for bringing this to my
> attention.
>
> I did not find anything in the theory section of the original service
> manual although it does have the schematic but K04BB has a supplement
> which discusses the 3450A peltier chamber and circuit in detail.  They
> even sort of mention that the gain of the peltier differs
> significantly between heating and cooling.

Well, that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who actually worked
with peltiers for thermal control. It's intrinsic to the way they work.
a bit simplified: One can use a peltier to pump heat from one side to
the other. The catch is, that additionally to the heat transferred, the
electrical power put into the peltier to enable its heat transfer also
shows up at the hot side. And, that electrical power is much more than
the heat transferred...

Best regards,
Florian