[time-nuts] patents and hobbyist projects

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sun May 15 17:27:07 EDT 2016

Poul-Henning wrote:
> Did you read the opinion ?
> I'm asking because it pretty much says the exact opposite...

One always has to be very careful when reading both patents and court
opinions.  Neither one lends itself to being read for a "plain meaning."
  We will have to see how the Limelight case develops (i.e., is
interpreted in future decisions), but it was issued in a "methods" case
(as distinguished from the familiar case of physical widgets) and is
probably pretty narrow.  The difficulty in the Limelight case was trying
to determine what the "whole product" is.  (For this and other reasons,
a sizeable minority of analysts think that "method" patents should not
be allowed in the first place -- similar to the disputes WRT patent
protection of algorithms and software.)

For example, the Limelight case gives us no reason to believe that a
manufacturer can avoid infringing a patent by having some of the "steps"
performed by a subcontractor, who sells a non-infringing (in itself)
subassembly to the manufacturer that, when incorporated into a finished
product by the manufacturer, practices all of the "steps" of the patent.

Best regards,

Charles