[time-nuts] Nuclear transition for time reference - Nature 5-May, 2016, vol 533

David Witten wittend at wwrinc.com
Mon May 23 12:49:37 EDT 2016

My knowledge in this area is superficial.  But I wondered if anyone in this
group had a reaction to the 5-May issue of nature that includes a 'News and
Views' piece and a formal article reporting the detection by Von der Wense
et al. of the 229m Thorium nuclear transition that is hoped to have utility
in time-related metrology applications?

The key point seems to be that since nuclear transitions of this sort
 involve shifts among excited states by quarks, which are governed by the
strong force, many of the electromagnetic perturbations of clocks governed
by electromagnetic force are eliminated.  (I think.)

Nuclear physics: Elusive transition spotted in thorium
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v533/n7601/full/533044a.html>

Direct detection of the 229Th nuclear clock transition
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v533/n7601/full/nature17669.html>

Also significant appears to be the fact that the energy released is in a
region (~ 150-170 nm UV) where available lasers and other tools of the
trade can operate, allowing practical instruments to be constructed around
this transition.

Much is published that comes to naught; I do not have knowledge to judge.
But it seemed interesting to me.

Dave, KD0EAG