[time-nuts] Simple solution for disciplining OCXO with 1 PPS

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Tue May 24 23:20:44 EDT 2016

When comparing a 10MHz OCXO divided down to 1Hz with a GPS PPS signal, the effective VCO gain (Ko/N) is likely to be around 6E-7 rad/s/V (eg HP10811A) and the phase detector gain around 1V/rad. Consequently a PLL loop bandwidth of 100uHz only requires an Integrator time constant of around  100 sec or so for a second order PLL with an active PI filter. The required integrator time constant can be reduced further by using an attenuator between the filter output and the OCXO EFC input.

Bruce

    On Wednesday, 25 May 2016 9:00 AM, Wes <wes at triconet.org> wrote:

 A cleaver design, but the OP wanted 1pps.  I have the Leo Bodnar GPSDO.  It too
is a nice frequency standard, but it doesn't know what time it is.