[time-nuts] GPS week rollover and time of day

Michael Wouters michaeljwouters at gmail.com
Fri May 27 21:54:56 EDT 2016

Earlier this year, a venerable VP Oncore in one of our systems started
outputting a time of day which was 1024 weeks in the past. This was
presumably because it had some reference time in its firmware which it
was using to resolve the n*1024 weeks ambiguity in broadcast GPS time,
and it was now more than 1024 weeks past that reference time. In this
case, the receiver still worked fine otherwise.

I have since come across some manufacturer's advisories stating that
some of their products will cease to function because of this problem
- it is not clear whether this is the receiver itself or the product
based on the receiver.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has run across the week
rollover problem, or has seen any advisories about anticipated
problems.

Cheers,
Michael